Robert de Lorimier [https://community.jboss.org/people/r_delorimier] created
the discussion

"JBPM 5: Workflow not leaving embedded sub process"

To view the discussion, visit: https://community.jboss.org/message/784168#784168

Hi all,

I am trying to create a workflow with human tasks, convergent and divergent
gateways, and an embedded subprocess. For some reason it looks like the
workflow does not continue after the subprocess finishes to go to the final end
point. See the workflow image:

https://community.jboss.org/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/2-784168-20014/workflow.png

https://community.jboss.org/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-784168-20014/450-352/workflow.png

I am using a variable in the constraints of the divergent gateway to decide
which direction the workflow will go. After I select the "Appove Rule" node,
the next nodes are a convergent and divergent gateway. I can see that it is
making it to the the divergent gateway, as I added in some code the the
constraint that goes to the termination node in the subprocess:

org.drools.runtime.process.WorkflowProcessInstance process =
(org.drools.runtime.process.WorkflowProcessInstance)kcontext.getProcessInstance();

if (((String)process.getVariable("ruleState")).equals("LIVE"))
{
    System.out.println("Rule approved and going LIVE");
    return true;
}
else
{
    return false;
}

I can see the Text "Rule approved and going LIVE" in the console when running
my code, so it should be going to the terninal node. Outside of the subprocess
is another convergent and divergent node. The divergent node uses the ruleState
variable to decide whether go back through the process again or go to the
terminal node, and again to am printing out what the decision is. I do not see
any of this text when I run the code. I also assert that the End node was
triggered and the process instance is completed, and both of these fail. I am
including the workflow and code as a maven project so you can run the test with
"mvn install" and take a look at it yourself.