I just got done battling that whole thing.
I am using Jetty/JBoss and even though I can see thru
the Admin/JNDIView page the java:comp env sees my env/MYDB entry
it still will not work in my apps..I have to use the java:/MYDB
namespace.
Prerhaps I still don't have something configured properly,
but I figured  that if thru the JNDIView page I get:

java:comp namespace of the LoginServletBean bean:

  +- env (class: org.jnp.interfaces.NamingContext)
  |   +- jdbc (class: org.jnp.interfaces.NamingContext)
  |   |   +- JBossDB (class: javax.naming.LinkRef)

it should work when referenced like "java:comp/env/jdbc/JBossDB" but it doesn't.

Daren