Its been about a week. Here is a simple test that works against the current cvs:

jboss 722>cat tstNS.java
import java.util.Properties;
import javax.naming.*;

class tstNS
{
        public static void main(String[] args) throws NamingException
        {
                Properties env = new Properties();
                env.setProperty(Context.INITIAL_CONTEXT_FACTORY,
"org.jnp.interfaces.NamingContextFactory");
                env.setProperty(Context.PROVIDER_URL, "jnp://localhost:1099");
                env.setProperty(Context.URL_PKG_PREFIXES ,
"org.jboss.naming:org.jnp.interfaces");
                InitialContext ctx = new InitialContext(env);
                System.out.println("Connected to JNDI");
        }
}
jboss 723>java -classpath "/tmp/cvs/jboss/dist/client/jnp-client.jar;." tstNS
Connected to JNDI
jboss 724>

Most likely your using a jndi.properties that does not include the org.jnp.interfaces
package in the URL_PKG_PREFIXES if this does not work for you.