Ok, I double checked (with the latest CVS JBoss), with the following:

<snip language="jython">
from java.lang import *;
from java.util import *;
from javax.naming import *;

env = Hashtable();
"org.jnp.interfaces.NamingContextFactory");
env.put(Context.PROVIDER_URL, "jnp://reason.boldfish.com:1099");
env.put(Context.URL_PKG_PREFIXES, "org.jboss.naming:org.jnp.interfaces");
print env;

ctx = InitialContext(env);
print ctx

print ctx.lookup("java:/Mail");

ctx.close();
</snip>

Using a classpath with the following:

jython.jar
activation.jar
mail.jar
jndi.jar
jboss-client.jar
jbosssx-client.jar
jbossmq-client.jar
jnp-client.jar

Will produce this output:

<snip>
{java.naming.provider.url=jnp://reason.boldfish.com:1099,
java.naming.factory.initial=org.jnp.interfaces.NamingContextFactory,
java.naming.factory.url.pkgs=org.jboss.naming:org.jnp.interfaces}
javax.naming.InitialContext@30fc1f
Traceback (innermost last):
  File "/home/jason/tmp/test.py", line 14, in ?
javax.naming.ServiceUnavailableException: jnp.  Root exception is
java.net.UnknownHostException: jnp
        at java.net.InetAddress.getAllByName0(InetAddress.java:571)
        at java.net.InetAddress.getAllByName0(InetAddress.java:540)
        at java.net.InetAddress.getByName(InetAddress.java:449)
        at
org.jnp.interfaces.NamingContext.getServer(NamingContext.java:102)
        at org.jnp.interfaces.NamingContext.checkRef(NamingContext.java:763)
        at org.jnp.interfaces.NamingContext.lookup(NamingContext.java:340)
        at org.jnp.interfaces.NamingContext.lookup(NamingContext.java:333)
        at javax.naming.InitialContext.lookup(InitialContext.java:350)
        at
org.python.core.PyReflectedFunction.__call__(PyReflectedFunction.java:158)
        at org.python.core.PyMethod.__call__(PyMethod.java:83)
        at org.python.core.PyObject.__call__(PyObject.java:272)
        at org.python.core.PyInstance.invoke(PyInstance.java:275)
        at org.python.pycode._pyx0.f$0(/home/jason/tmp/test.py)
        at org.python.pycode._pyx0.call_function(/home/jason/tmp/test.py)
        at org.python.core.PyTableCode.call(PyTableCode.java:155)
        at org.python.core.Py.runCode(Py.java:1055)
        at org.python.core.__builtin__.execfile(__builtin__.java:288)
        at org.python.core.__builtin__.execfile(__builtin__.java:292)
        at
org.python.util.PythonInterpreter.execfile(PythonInterpreter.java:155)
        at org.python.util.jython.main(jython.java:159)

javax.naming.ServiceUnavailableException:
javax.naming.ServiceUnavailableException: jnp [Root exception is
java.net.UnknownHostException: jnp]

</snip>

So I can create an InitialContext, but as soon as I try to lookup anything I
will get an exception.

--jason