[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>> Is this CMP or BMP? We're focusing on CMP performance in version 2.3.
>

> CMP

Hence the title of the message. Sorry to ask an unneeded question.

>> How are the transactions written? Do you call multiple methods from a
>> client, or are you using session wrappers, or is each transaction one
>> method inherently?
>

> I think that transaction per method. I do not use any explicit transaction
> handling. The only thing that is transaction related is ejb-jar.xml
> descriptor with "Required" transaction for all methods ("*").

Can you send a snip of your client code? depending on how you do this,
it can really hurt! The main problem is having the client initiate M
transactions per row instead of one (M being the number of method
invocations).

Other JAWS tips:
With a table this size, you _need_ to make sure that the primary key is
created in the database (note that the JAWS persistence manager defaults
to _not_ creating a primary key - if you're letting JAWS create the
table, add a <pk-constraint>true</pk-constraint> into the entity tag for
that bean in jaws.xml.

You should be able to do an 'alter table' in postgres to add the primary
key after the fact.

Put the <tuned-updates>true</tuned-updates> in your jaws.xml also. This
avoids updating unchanged columns, particularly the primary key. In
JBoss 2.4 (next release) primary key columns will never be updated by
JAWS. Note that if your primary key changes, it isn't really a primary
key - see Codd.

Also, implementing 'isModified' will really speed your transactions
along by avoiding any updates (or even calls to the persistence manager)
for unmodified beans.

Hope this helps,
danch