This is an older article
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/java/library/java2/index.html?dwzone=java,

but it has some good information and it may be of some help.

Rob

                    Frank Fröse

                    <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>                To:
"'[EMAIL PROTECTED]'" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                    Sent by:                            cc:

                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]     Groups: Don't Expand

                    eforge.net                          Subject:     [JBoss-user]
Stability problems on Linux

                    06/28/01 05:32 AM

                    Please respond to jboss-user

We have severe problems bringing stability to our Apache/Tomcat/JBoss based
application on Linux OS. Every thing seems to run stable while traffic is
low. But when traffic increases the VM forkes hundered of OS processes what
causes thousands (>40,000) of open files. At the end all OS resources are
consumed and the application dies.

I read about Linux's weak thread implementation which uses an OS process
for
each thread. Could this be the source of our problems? Is there a way to
control this resources greed of our application?

Our configuration:

    Linux 2.2.18
    JDK 1.3.0 (Sun HotSpot)
    JBoss 2.2.2
    Tomcat 3.2.2
    Apache 1.3.19

Would you probably recommend to better switch to Windows or Solaris OS? If
so, which is the preferred OS for a JBoss application?

    - Frank
Schon gesehen? Schon geklickt? Schon begeistert? Das neue Maggi Kochstudio
im Internet http://www.maggi.de