You are reading the spec incorrectly. You can only access things from
remote clients that are present in the Global jndi namespace (to get a view
of the namespace, use the jndiView mbean through http://localhost:8082 - or
whatever port you have it set on).

You don't want to access the DataSource from a remote client - that would
require the Connection object to be Serializable

Alex

|--------+-------------------------------------->
|        |          "gsekar ejb"                |
|        |          <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>      |
|        |          Sent by:                    |
|        |          [EMAIL PROTECTED]|
|        |          eforge.net                  |
|        |                                      |
|        |                                      |
|        |          07/06/01 03:44 PM           |
|        |          Please respond to jboss-user|
|        |                                      |
|--------+-------------------------------------->

>-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |

  |       To:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                       |
  |       cc:
                       |
  |       Subject:     [JBoss-user] Datasource Lookup from a standalone client
                       |

>-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Version : JBoss-2.2.2

I have defined a JDBC DataSource xxxx_pool and i can see that it is
successfully bound as java:/xxxx_pool.
[xxxx_pool] Starting
[xxxx_pool] XA Connection pool xxxx_pool bound to java:/xxxx_pool
[xxxx_pool] Started

I have no problem accessing this datasource from within a Session Bean
using
Context ctx = new InitialContext();
DataSource ds = ctx.lookup("java:/xxxx_pool");

But when I try to access this datasource from a standalone java client, I
am able to access the Context in the app server correctly and I am able to
list the bound objects ( This tells me that my jndi.properties is at the
right place and my client is able to connect to the App Server). But When I
do the  lookup for DataSource, I get a NamingException with xxxx_pool not
bound. From my understanding of the j2ee spec, I should be able to do this
lookup. IS this a bug or am I not understanding the spec correctly. Also
the Context.list doesnt list any of the datasources. It lists only the
bounf EJB objects.

Thanks

Sekar

P.S. I have dont the same type of client look up in 2 other commercial App
Servers.

Get 250 color business cards for FREE!