The reference is coming from the 1.2J2EE spec. The corresponding section
from the
1.3PFD3 J2EE spec is below. JBoss does not currently provide an application
client container and that is what is required to have access to the full
array of
J2EE resource managers.

<j2ee_13pfd3 spec>
J2EE.6.2.4.8 JNDI
A J2EE product must make the following types of objects available in the
application's
JNDI namespace - EJBHome objects, JTA UserTransaction objects, JDBC
API DataSource objects, JMS ConnectionFactory and Destination objects, Java-
Mail Session objects, and resource manager ConnectionFactory objects (as
specified
in the Connector specification). The JNDI implementation in a J2EE product
must be capable of supporting all of these uses in a single application
component
using a single JNDI InitialContext. Application components will generally
create
a JNDI InitialContext using the default constructor with no arguments. The
application
component may then perform lookups on that InitialContext to find objects
as specified above.

The names used to perform lookups for J2EE objects are application
dependent.
The application component's deployment descriptor is used to list the names
and types of objects expected. The Deployer configures the JNDI namespace to
make appropriate components available. The JNDI names used to lookup such
objects must be in the JNDI java: namespace. See Chapter J2EE.5, "Naming"
for
details.
</j2ee_13pfd3 spec>