Jozsa Kristof wrote:

> I'm developing my own Cocoon project in a bundled JBoss+Catalina on linux.
> I've found out, that during development, after 6-8 deployment of my project
> WAR file, jboss drops a nasty out of memory exception.

This is probably a thread problem - if you look at the message within
the exception, it's trying to create a thread.

> Now, I have two questions regarding this: isn't that caused by a memory leak
> in JBoss (as I'm re-deploying basically the same file over and over, really
> only a few bytes changes or increases every time); and why JBoss wont use
> more memory if I still have system resources available?

What's (most likely) happening is your running out of process table
entries for the user JBoss is running as. There _may_ be a thread leak
associated with deployment, but this problem also seams worse with
certain JDKs (I believe that the 1.3.1 beta from sun was particularly
bad). Which JDK are you using?

The only way to obliterate this problem once and for all is to switch to
the recently released alternate pthread implementation from IBM, which
implements an N to M mapping from user threads to kernel threads (so
that ~200 java threads will map to ~200 pthreads, but only to a very few
kernel threads, which is where the limit is). I posted the link to this
library a few months ago on this list and I'd really like someone to try
it for me and let me know how it goes ;8^})

-danch