Thank you for the details provided.  However, I think this just re-inforces my
argument.
In your example, your servlet is configured to use BASIC authentication, as
well as requires a transport of CONFIDENTIAL (i.e. SSL.)

In your first attempt to use your client, your ssl is not configured to require
the client to authenticate using certificate.  In this case, the server accepts
the client when creating an SSL session.  However, the servlet still requires
authentication.  Since this has not been provided, 401 error is returned.

Next, you set SSL connector to require the client to prove its identity via a
certificate.  At first this does not work because you have to tell the JVM of
client to provide the certificate.  After doing that, you end up is same
situation as above.  The client attempts to communicate with the server.  The
server requires SSL connection and requests from the client a certificate.
The client provides the certificate.  The server accepts the certificate and
the SSL handshake proceeds.  The result is a mutually trusted encrypted
connection.  Then the original request made by client starts to be processed by
servlet container.  The container determines that the request requires BASIC
authentication.  However, you have not provided this.  So the container returns
the 401 error.

So, set up a client to negotiate BASIC authentication as well as providing
certificates for SSL encryption and see what happens.  If you still do not
agree with me, then I am not sure what other arguments I can provide.  In any
case, thanks for the thoughtful discussion.

later, cgriffith

View the original post :
http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=3949344#3949344

Reply to the post :