How about an order attribute in components.xml (like the servlet
load-on-startup)?  The named component in a given scope with the highest order
wins.  This would allow for the override of not only built-in components but
others as well.

Assume for the sake of argument that some contributor creates a component suite
that overrides certain seam built-in components (to provide security, spring
integration, whatever).  Later on you, or someone else develops a new component
X to override component X in the contrib suite.  The contrib suite is made up
of components X, Y, Z.  It's desirable for both jars to be included in the
system and for the newest component X to override both the original contrib and
built-in component.

This isn't a perfect system because is relies on the component packager to
choose priority.  However this probably isn't a major issue and a single drop
in jar is easier on the users than requiring additional configuration.

If this were the default I think we'd get pretty far.  For the edge case were
you have many components overriding (possibly incorrectly) we could specify an
additional top level configuration (web.xml or seam.properties?) that overrides
the order for a given class.  Sensible defaults + overrides if necessary.  It
sounds good to me, but does this really need to be taken to the Nth degree or
could something less complex work just as well?

View the original post :
http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=3955697#3955697

Reply to the post :
http://www.jboss.com/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=3955697