On 2001.12.04 08:21:47 -0500 Kristoffer Larsson wrote:
> On 4 Dec 2001, Pavel P. Tcholakov wrote:
>
> > > We - the users of JBoss - do need that kind of communication.
> >
> > I completely agree. Mailing lists are a much less intrusive form of
> > Please re-consider this decision.
>
> I am right behind Pavel here. Mailing lists use the "push" tenhnique,
> while forums use the "pull" technique, i.e., as a user of these ways
> of communication you don't have to "do anything" to receive answers
> and questions in a mailing list, whereas you have to actively log on
> www.jboss.org and repeatedly refresh the web page and search for new
> questions and answer. Forums are great when you need to search
> through their archives, but if you just want an answer to a simple
> question you can just check your mail every now and then and see if
> something has turned up in the mailinglist.
>
> Both of these ways of communications are needed. Don't close this
> list.
>
> Kristoffer Larsson

Unfortunately, I think both email and the forums are kind of awful.
Possibly a wiki would be better, I don't know.

I did get tired of the hundreds of emails every day on jboss-user.

If the forum could--

notify you when something new in a forum (not a thread) showed up

had a better "next unread" function

had a better way of editing answers so a body of correct answers with
appropriate detail could develop.

I'd be happier with it.

Wikis are supposed to be good at the last, but I don't know if they can do
any kind of notification or selection for new content.

I found a very simple jsp based wiki that just uses files, it works fine
with jetty/jboss.  It has ___NO___ decoration a la jboss website.  Anyone
think we should try it?

Hmmm. heres another idea for a useful jboss demo... a jsp/ejb/db wiki with
notifications and new content navigation.

david jencks