Jos Henrique Varanda wrote:

> Hello Dain,
>
> I'm using the same ear file in RC3 and 3.0.0. I'm
> using Oracle8 db and using CMP 2.0 as well. The
> problem is: the same ear executes 100 times slower in
> 3.0.0 than in RC3.

What about with hypersonic?

> What about transaction demarcation? I'm using a
> session bean to coordinate all tasks. There is a
> method in that bean that is responsible for doing all
> the work. This method's transaction is marked as
> "Required". It accesses localy some cmp2.0 entity
> beans and returns a collection as a result. The
> performance problem occurs when it calls a finder
> method that finds all entities in db and then accesses
> some of their attributes. Specifically, the
> performance decrease is noticed when the session bean
> calls the getters accessor methods. These accessors
> methods' transaction demarcation are "Required" too.

Then you shouldn't get the O(n^2) performance I was talking about
earlier.  Just check the log for an excessive amount of load queries.

Also if you query-modify-query in a loop you can get bad performance
because the container must synchronize the data before a query is executed.

> Resuming, I have a staless session bean that iterates
> in all my entities looking for some attributes which
> are stored in a collection. All methods involved are
> marked as "Required" in the container-transaction
> section in ejb-jar.xml. Remember that this is the same
> ear file for both versions: RC3 and 3.0.0
> Any idea of what's happening?

Nope.  Do you have a profiler?  I use Optimize It.

> You told me in another thread at jboss forum that the
> only demarcation allowed in jboss at this time was the
> "Required" one. Does Jboss-3.0.0 already implement the
> other demarcations? Since my method is just for
> accessing data I could mark all the accessor methods
> as "Supports". It could speed things up!

JBoss support all of the transaction attributes, but when you use CMP
you must always have a transaction.  Transaction over head in JBoss is
almost immeasurable, so you won't get much of a speed up running without
one.

-dain