> Has anyone had good luck running any Java application on Linux?  What
> linux distribution, version, JVM and JVM version did you use?

Yeah, sure. I run a dev version of Tomcat with test versions of a couple of
apps on a Pentium I (yes, a P1) with 64 Mb of RAM under RedHat 7.x using the
IBM 1.3 JDK. It's got no load (except me) but it stays up and stable for
weeks at a time. It's also got an ever-growing mysql database that sucks in
some heavy-duty mailing traffic that's run for over 6 months now without any
intervention on may part except for truncating some overgrown log files (one
of the apps accesses this database).

At my previous workplace we used to use a linux box (a PIII/650 with 512Mb
RAM) as a sometimes development platform (otherwise VisualAge on Windows).
Using Redhat 6.x, IBM 1.3 JDK, and JEDIT as the editor, also ANT for builds.
The application was an automated FTP transfer application with XML
configuration for a client and they are quite happily running this on a
series of Linux boxes around the world similarly configured.

I found the IBM 1.3 JDK under Linux to be excellent. I use it in preference
to the SUN JDK on any platform wherever available and/or possible.

regs
scot.

Scot Mcphee -                 Snr Developer
            -       (mobile) +61-412-957414
TigerEx     -        http://www.tigerex.net
            -          (bus) +61-2-82593613