Jason Westra wrote:
Hi JBoss friends,

I tend to agree with Bill and Dain's last posting here.  There are certain
things that CMP is not designed to do *well* and large, heavy reads is one
of them.
I disagree with you here. It depends on the type of reads you are doing. A lot of applications increase performance by offloading processing to the database with very complex queries and stored procedures, and the current CMP design can not benefit from this design. The JBoss 4.0 design will be able to benefit from hand tuned queries.

I'd venture to guess the same performance problem will occur on other app
servers, in which case, it is not a war of servers, but a principle of
application design (SSB+JDBC vs. CMP).  If the numbers come in much better
from testing on other app servers, we need to get JBoss "fixed". Until then,
I'd recommend a different approach than CMP.
My goal for the 4.0 architecture is to enable the easy use of a hybrid approach to CMP. In this design you can use CMP for the 98% of you app that performs well under the current code and for the 2% that needs hand code you can plug in a custom interceptor to tune queries.

-dain