I jumped through a lot of hoops to get Informix XA working on JBoss, including modifying the JBoss TransactionManager, and wrapping Informix's XA drivers. In the end, everything worked except for one recurring (and very annoying) problem: the database periodically extablished a lock on some data that it would not let go without a DB restart. None of the informix tools would release the lock. I whipped together some Java XA code that was able to fix some of the problems, but every now and then a DB restart was necessary. In the end, we ended up rolling back to the non-XA drivers.

I have sent the wrapped drivers to several folks on this alias that asked about them. I think David Jenks and Jules Gosnell also asked about them at one point, but I never got them out. I have attached them here for the world to see/use/fix. It should go without saying: "Use at your own risk".

-Larry

Instructions on use of attached informix.sar:

You can use this as a replacement for your current db-service.xml. You will need to modify the META-INF/jboss-service.xml to suite your environment. Note: you can run this archive exploded - it makes it easier to modify the jboss-service.xml file. It has only two external references: Log4j and Informix's current drivers.

If you would prefer to rip the thing apart, the only file you need is the IfxXADataSource.java - all the others are tests that expose the various bugs in the original XA driver, and a tool to help recover transactions stuck in the database.

Good Luck!

Corbin, James wrote:

Has anyone been able to successfully get a connection to an Informix database through a configured XA driver?

I appear to bind to the datasource okay as I do not get any errors at startup, but whenever I try to programmatically get a connection it fails.

This is very annoying. Please advise.

J.D.

This electronic message transmission contains information from the Company that may be proprietary, confidential and/or privileged.
The information is intended only for the use of the individual(s) or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient, be
aware that any disclosure, copying or distribution or use of the contents of this information is prohibited. If you have received
this electronic transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately by replying to the address listed in the "From:" field.