Hi All,

One of the many mysteries that I haven't yet come to understand about
securing web applications is the following:

Is it possible, with default web container security and JAAS domains,
to allow a user to automatically log into a web application as
'Guest' and then at some later time allow them to log into the
application as a registered user to unlock certain features of the
web application based on their 'roles'.

So far, I've only been able to set a web security policy on an entire
web application, or various parts of the web application, which
forces the user to log in, showing either a FORM login, or a BASIC
login whenever a user hits one of these 'barriers'.

Is there a way to set up JAAS so that a user's identity is assumed to
be 'guest' until such time as the user reauthenticates?

Or is the J2EE built-in security model not used for this type of
scenario? Is a custom security model (with cookies filters) the only
way to write this type of security?

Thanks for any pointers you can give me.

-Neal