I made some progress, but not as much as I'd like.  Here is what I found:

1) The WAR approach in the WIKI above separates the logging, but does not seem
to produce truly separate classloaders... if I have a log4j.jar in my WAR and
is of a different version, or if I have 2 WARs with a class of the same name
but different content... then I still have problems.

2) The EAR approach, similar to (1) but using jboss-app.xml in the EAR instead
of jboss-web.xml in the WAR works on jBoss 3.2.3 (mostly), but does not work on
jBoss 3.2.6 or jBoss 4.0.1.  I suspect that it might work on jBoss 4.0.0
because it is J2EE 1.4 compliant, but I have failed at all attempted downloads
of that version.

3) I have submitted a bug report, but I have not heard even a peep of an
acknowledgement that anyone even read it.

I hope this helps others, and that a proper solution will eventually appear.

This is the single biggest problem that jBoss has, and its solution is now
mandated by the J2EE 1.4 standard that jBoss "claims" to meet (of course, you
have to know the secret setup to accomplish it - because the instructions in
the release notes for jBoss 4.0.1 do not work).

The unified classloader is a great concept - as long as it is not the "only
way" and it is not used to lock people out of the "write once run anywhere"
concept of java or is used to lock people into one application server.  That
may not be jBoss' intention, but it sure looks that way.

View the original post :
http://www.jboss.org/index.html?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=3870179#3870179

Reply to the post :
http://www.jboss.org/index.html?module=bb&op=posting&mode=reply&p=3870179