Thanks Javier.
OK I totally went into brain-fry mode and blew it.  For the record I am now
working under SP2.
My mistake was that I was doing a JDEbug->LaunchApp , but not doing a
JDE->DebugApp.  Re-reading
the JDEbugUG for the nth time I see the sentence "At this point, you should
set one or more breakpoints in the application and select the Run command
from the JDEbug menu".

However I'm still convinced I wouldn't have worked under SP1, because I
never got to the connection even with a jde-bug-sio-connect-delay equal to
1.   So for whatever reason installing SP2 either fixed or hid the real
problem.
So Paul when you get your dandy Windoze2K machine try it out with SP1 in
your copious spare time and see what happens.

humbly,
george