At 10:24 AM 6/12/2001 -0400, "Daniel Hegyi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>At my job I was forced to use Visual Age for Java, and I must say that I'm
>pleasantly surprised. The editor has customizable Emacs key bindings (more
>or less). Most importantly, there is no compile command, after every save
>only the new code is compiled in the background. It is very fast! Would
>such iterative compilation be difficult to integrate into the JDE?

This would not be difficult. I have been planning to use the Beanshell to
compile files. This would eliminate the need to run javac, i.e., start up a
vm, every time you want to compile a file. Compilation would be virtually
instantaneous since most of the javac compilation time is due simply to
starting the vm.

>Is the purpose of Emacs and JDE mostly to give a nice environment for
>those users who don't have much space, speed, and don't have admin rights
>on their machine?

Not exactly. It's intended for people doing Java development on Palm
Pilots. I believe Palm users have admin  rights to their machine.

- Paul