This is actually in reply to Jean Lavoie's message; I was interested to see
if there was such a problem. I wrote some junk code that uses an inner class
and put a break in the inner class. The debugging worked fine. This is
jde 2.2.8, emacs 21.2.1 on XP. Your message did not include source code but I would
 wonder if you have the source to  your inner class (or the outer class, it looks like
Swing stuff)

public class TestOuter {
    int aa,bb;
    public TestOuter(){

        aa=1;
        bb=2;
        TestInner f = new TestInner();
        bb=f.Retval();
    }
    public static void main(String[] args){
        TestOuter g=new TestOuter();
        System.out.println(g.bb);
    }
    class TestInner {
        int a,b,c;
        public TestInner() {
        a=1;
        b=2;
        c=3;
        }
        int Retval(){
            int d;
            d=a+b;
            return d;
        }
    }
}

--
I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.  --Groucho