    Michael> On Tue, 9 Dec 2003 18:03:26 -0500, Paul Kinnucan wrote:
    >> Michael Schierl writes:
    >> > On Thu, 6 Nov 2003 13:17:50 -0500, Paul Kinnucan wrote:
    >> >
    >> > When I use that one with cedet-1.0beta1c on emacs-21.3
    >> > (Windows), it works as long as i only edit one file. When I
    >> > open the second file (or do a M-x jde-mode RET in the first
    >> > one), I see
    >> >

    >> I was not able to get cedet-1.0beta1c to load on my Windows
    >> system, let alone work with the JDEE 2.3.3.

    Michael> Hmm, my windows system (w/ cygwin) did not make any
    Michael> problems. just run make and then add the line mentioned
    Michael> in the INSTALL file into .emacs (it will create the
    Michael> needed load path itself).

    Michael> Some investigation with lots of (message)s and
    Michael> edebug-sessions later, i noticed that the error does not
    Michael> occur when i disable
    Michael> jde-project-context-switching-enabled-p. It does not
    Michael> occur either when i load the project manually afterwards
    Michael> (huh?).

    Michael> After some stepping through jde-set-variables-init-value,
    Michael> the problem is (funcall set symbol val-to-set) on
    Michael> jde-enable-senator.

    Michael> So the shortest hack to make it work with latest cedet
    Michael> seems to be changing the set function for
    Michael> jde-enable-senator.

    Michael> Now i simply use:

    Michael> (defcustom jde-enable-senator t
    Michael>   "Enable senator minor mode.
    Michael> This mode provides Java-aware buffer navigation and
    Michael> searching commands."
    Michael>   :group 'jde-project :type 'boolean :set '(lambda (sym
    Michael>   val)
    Michael>           ;; Starting with version 1.4 beta 12 Semantic
    Michael>           ;; can globally enable `senator-minor-mode'.
    Michael>           ;; So don't override the global setting in
    Michael>           ;; JDE's buffers.
    Michael>           (or (and (boundp 'global-senator-minor-mode)
    Michael>                    global-senator-minor-mode)
    Michael>          t ;; <------------------------------------ added
    Michael>          by me
    Michael>               (mapc
    Michael>                (lambda (buff)
    Michael>                  (save-excursion
    Michael>                    (set-buffer buff) (senator-minor-mode
    Michael>                    (if val 1 -1))))
    Michael>                (jde-get-java-source-buffers)))
    Michael>      (set-default sym val)))

    Michael> which seems to work as expected (although i might have
    Michael> broken senator, but I don't care about that on my
    Michael> machine).

This effectively disables the resetting of existing open buffers
when a user customizes jde-enable-senator. I would rather fix the
bug then cripple a function in order to avoid it. I've narrowed
the problem, i.e., resetting the value of jde-enable-senator
triggers the error:

  Setting JDE variables to startup values... [3 times]
  wisent-java-tags-lexer:
  Wrong type argument: stringp, nil

to the java version of the semantic-parse-region function. However, I
cannot get any further because the semantic java parser is implemented
via macros that cannot be enabled for edebugging, which is the only
way I know how to find the exact line that causes a particular
error. (BTW, I find the heavy reliance on macros a serious problem
with the design of semantic 2.0; it makes debugging problems with
semantic next to impossible, at least that has been my experience so
far.)  Perhaps Eric or David can find the line that causes the error
or suggest a way for me to find it so this bug can be fixed.

Paul