Paul Kinnucan wrote:
> Nascif Abousalh-Neto writes:
>  > I am having a similar problem, but it is not deterministic. Had it
> yesterday but can't reproduce today.
>
> On the face of it, it would appear that this is a problem with ecb as
> it tries to build lists of what's in directories whereas the JDEE does
> not. The first thing I would do is try to pinpoint the problem to one
> package or the other and to one file type another, i.e., to use the
> JDEE and ECB separately to determine if the problem occurs with one
> but not the other, with Java files but not other types of files, or
> with both packages and only Java files, both packages and nonJava
> files, etc.
>
> Paul
>

>  > Using ECB 2.30 and JDE 2.3.4.
>  >
>  > Debug-on-error doesn't work for this one, and the long breaks are
>  *very* disruptive. >
>  > Any idea on how to debug something like that?
>  >

Please send a problem-report to the ECB-list with `ecb-submit-problem-report'!
Do you use XEmacs cygwin-build??

Do you know the options
- ecb-stealthy-tasks-delay
- ecb-prescan-directories-for-emptyness and
  ecb-prescan-directories-exclude-regexps
- ecb-vc-enable-support and
  ecb-vc-directory-exclude-regexps
- ecb-sources-perform-read-only-check and
  ecb-read-only-check-exclude-regexps

Especially with Xemacs cygwin-build (which file-operations are incredible
slow compared to native-XEmacs-build) the empty-dir check can block
XEmacs - evebn if this check is runned stealthy in idle-time and also
interruptable by any(!) key-press or mouse-click the XEmacs-cygwin-build
seems to responf / react to such an interrupt very delayed / slow - with
native XEmacs or GNU Emacs all this work fine! IMHO (input-pending-p)
does not work very well with cygwin-XEmacs (at least not when running
a lot file-operations for a lot of files...)...

so you can try to set ecb-prescan-directories-for-emptyness to nil or
exclude some dirs with ecb-prescan-directories-exclude-regexps and then
check if the situation is now better - also for the other stealthy tasks
ecb-vc-enable-support and ecb-sources-perform-read-only-check wheres the latter
one should not be a problem....

Klaus