At 10:07 AM 4/25/2001 +0800, Leon Kwan wrote:
>Sorry that may be I do not make the question clear.
>actually, since I found that in jabber.com, it says that the commercial
>version of jabber supports multiple server:
>"Enables Distributed Processing across multiple server "farms" which in
>  turn may support multiple CPUs."
>"Allows components of a Jabber server to be distributed across multiple
>  machines, enabling a greater degree of inherent redundancy."
>and even support distributed socket:
>"Enables groups of "socket" connections to be distributed across
>mini-servers
>  in front of one or more Jabber servers. "
>
>however, I found that there is no documentation in jabber.org telling us
>how to achieve that our self. I even do not know the system architecture
>of such design. Or this can be done only in commercial version such that
>my question is stupid here?

I don't think its stupid!  And I'm warning up front that I'm not a
Jabber.com employee.

My understanding is that the distributed nature of the jabberd being sold
by jabber.com is one of the reasons jabber.com hopes people will pay for
something they could otherwise get free... so a competitive advantage so to
speak.  As such, that particular technology is being held by jabber.com as
theirs.  It would be up to you to decide (as an "end user") if its better
for you to either purchase their solution, or to expend the effort to
modify the jabber.org jabberd to support multiple machines.  For most
commercial entities, I would imagine the former (paying for Jabberd.com's
server) is the best solution.  In addition, they will get paid support with
all that implies...

If you don't want to buy it, you're going to have to roll your own.  I'm
not currently aware of any such efforts (although I definitely haven't been
around long or spent much time investigating this so its best if you check
also).  From reviewing the current jabberd design, I would think it is
relatively easy to envision several areas where the server could be split
up and distributed (its packet messaging and modular architecture makes
distribution a much simpler task).

-iain