On Thu, Apr 18, 2002 at 07:25:40PM +0200, Mattias Campe wrote:
| dman wrote:
| >On Thu, Apr 18, 2002 at 09:09:57AM +0200, Mattias Campe wrote:

| >| Maybe, some of them you can figure out.
| >
| >Not much other than the ones you explicitly told us.  (Actually, I
| >understand the "BTW" one!)
|
| How is it possible you understand (^), (h), (t) and (m) without ever
| using MSN?

I don't, I understand "BTW".  :-).

| >| But (supposing you never used MSN)
| >
| >That's me.
| >
| >| try to write the full text without looking at e.g.
| >| http://communities.msn.com/Emoticons. The only thing I'm personally
| >| afraid of is that a lot of clients will start using MSN emoticons. I'm
| >| using Gabber myself and some friends use Exodus and a lot of the time I
| >| have to ask what they mean with (t)(h)(i)(n)(g)(s) like this. Why
| >| shouldn't it be done write the wright way?
| >
| >The "wright" way (sorry, I had to) is to just write what you meant.
| >hax0rs can do all the nasty munging they want with their words, but
| >real hackers use real English (or their native tongue, if it's
| >different, and the other party also understands it).
|
| Sorry for the "wright" thing ;-) , hey, but try to speak Dutch one time ;-p
| If you want Jabber to be known to a lot of people, you will need the
| Windows community were a lot of people kick on using emoticons. Those
| people find it "cool" and "necassary" .

I think it is just MSN that does that graphic junk.  I've never seen
AIM or ICQ do anything out-of-the-ordinary with emoticons.  It is just
up to the client to render ":-)" with a graphic, if it wants to.

| If you would live in Belgium I would let you try to convince some of
| my friens of using simple native language text instead of those
| emoticons, you would probably fail...
|
| >| [...]
| >on | >| emoticons. It's like "programs don't have to be usefull, they have
| >to be | >| cool". I'm almost sure I can convince my sister just like that
| >if a | >| client would have cool emoticons.

| >|
| >| Sorry, for the next 2-3 months I really won't have the time. And I
| >| personally think there are already enough Jabber clients. I know Exodus
| >| has emoticons but they are MSN emoticons :(
| >
| >Is ":(" an MSN emoticon?  I thought those were universally understood
| >and come from the days before computers could handle graphics.
|
| Euhm, where did I say that ":(" is a typical MSN emoticon??

You said (paraphrased) "exodus' emoticons are msn's emoticons".
Exodus treats ":(", ":)", etc, as emoticons, just like the other IM
programs I've used that did any graphic rendering.  It doesn't get
'=p' though.

Hmm, now I see what you mean -- if I send (l) or (e) to exodus it
renders with a graphic.  Ugh.

| "hax0rs can do all the nasty munging they want with their _names_, but
| real hackers use _full names_" ;-p you don't keep up your principles ...

My friends gave me this name years ago, before I had heard about UNIX
and before I started programming.  Those friends are not computer
geeks at all, either.  My given name isn't very hidden anyways, google
can find it fairly easily :-).

| (sorry for my bad English)

No real problem.

As long as the odd graphics and weird text mangling stays off my
screen, I don't care what else you do with them.  As you're trying to
devise a text mangling scheme for these emoticons, don't forget that
some people use IM systems to discuss coding or computer usage.  I
really hate it when AIM (where most of my friends on IM are) destroys
lines of shell commands that contain '<' or '>'.  At least exodus
doesn't have _that_ problem.  If someone (not me) has a coding style
of :
    j = func (i) ;
exodus and msn will be really bad for communication!

-D

--

If your company is not involved in something called "ISO 9000" you
probably have no idea what it is.  If your company _is_ involved in ISO