sure, they are used to describe an action, rather than a statement within a conversation. They serve the exact same purpose as emoticons; to try to increase the number of mechanisms for expression within a medium without voice or body language / visual cues.

-David Waite

Michael Brown wrote:
Some clients (Gabber, JabberIM and <plug>Marvin</plug>) support IRC
style "/me" emotes as in:

/me does some emoting

which would be shown in a different color as:

* tom does some emoting

I've never really used IRC...can someone tell me what the point of these
are? I've always wondered. For people who can't remember their names?

Michael.