Reply inline:

 - Dave

Richard Dobson wrote:

> [...]
If a client doesn't want to support an XML-correct way of IMming, it'd be rather silly
to market it as an XML IM client.  Obviously, any client can choose not to support
certain features of Jabber (including emoticons), but to make the standard method of
supporting emoticons in Jabber non-XML would be doing a severe disservice to XML
believers everywhere.

> or clients that are no longer maintained where there
> is no alternative for people to switch to, it will break maybe even crash
> clients that do not support the urn method, if you use relative urls there
> is no guarantee the images will even exist on the machine where they are
> being defined as being, so it will break in any clients not programmed
> specifically to support this method of doing emoticons, both of the ways you
> suggest (and before you say it they wont be able to download the images from
> a central repository as clients not programmed to support this method of
> emoticons wont know anything about it,
How do you solve the problem of non-MIME email clients?  You include
multiple copies of the message in different formats.
How do you solve the problem of non-up-to-date Jabber clients?
You include multiple SRC attributes in the IMG tag.
I fail to see your concerns :-(

> and still for something like
> emoticons that should be simple and universally compatible you cant just
> link to an external site for the images).
For something that should be simple and universally compatible, you can't just tell
people that Jabber will treat them as regexps because that's how everybody else does
it, but that Jabber's emoticons won't be compatible with any other IM system's
emoticons :-(

> It is still better to have this as
> an addition to the normal text and html so that it will be simply ignored in
> clients not specifically programmed to support it and the message can be
> displayed without much of a problem.
What do you mean by "this?"

> Rich
Dave