As a simple step, could a patch/branch to the Jabber server be made that
checks for common client protocol mistakes and writes debug log messages for
them?  That'd make it easier for client implementors to find their bugs - by
testing against such a modified server.  It could also totally reject
fully-invalid things like <show>normal</show> and return a presence error.