In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
 Neil Stevens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Thursday 11 November 2004 05:06 pm, Justin Karneges wrote:
> > While JD's comments sum this up nicely, I just want to reiterate loudly
> > that self-signed certificates alone truly are worthless.  I'm not even
> > talking about man in the middle attacks either.  As a form of identity,
> > a self-signed cert is as effective as the "From:" header in good old
> > SMTP, and this would allow spammers to get right in and start faking
> > domains.
>
> Wrong.  If a certificate remains unchanged, then you know that as long as
> it is unchanged, you're continuing to connect to the server you connected
> to in the past.
>
> You can't know if there's a man-in-the-middle in progress when you first
> connect, but if you're remembering certificate and someone tries one after
> a while, you will be able to detect that.
>
> ssh does this, for example.

Precisely. And one can argue that ssh is the most-used encryption
technology on the planet. Perhaps "opportunistic cryptography" is not a
bad model to follow? Even the IETF seems to be moving in the direction
of recognizing reality on this issue -- see the "Better Than Nothing
Security" BOF at IETF 61 this week:

http://www.financialcryptography.com/mt/archives/000247.html#more

Peter