well one point open source and jabber is the point that its open for all like the name says
++ many minds work togehter to make this product as well ass possible
-- a few niinds that sees a bug that them can use (maybe by an exploit) b4 someone fixes it
++ but again many minds working on it to do fix it

compare the windows(not open source) buglist and securityfiixes with those from linux(open source) ok u could also compare the anount of users that uses windows and the amount of linux users...

anyway the coice of the weapon is ur´s, choose those that can deliver what u need, in ur case jabber would be more than enough.

u could also choose from a wide range of other open source socket servers even a push pull (POST-GET) with php would be possible which than has the PLUS that u dont need expensive webspace and it mustend be slower than a socket connection but a MINUS for support and bugfixing by others!

but ask urself some questions..
what do u have..
so what possible options has the programming language u are working in (u dident tell which it is)
what do u need...
u said a messenger... well ich have msn installed-> i can webconference -> i can do internetphone ->i can xchange files...... u said a chat wiht custom rooms... well beneath the options from what i said about a messenger... here the most important Q is ->what do u think about the usermanagment who wil have which rights to do what where and when und which conditions.. (implemented serverside if u do so with an simple but effective php u have to programm that all alone or ectract that from somewhere else.what can be good or bad.. good no one know it , bad someone will find a security bug)

iam flash/openlaszlo/AJAX developer... so more working on the web-based client side (in my less freetime) and can say that fo my programming languages the XML structure of XMPP is wounderfull to handle

Ok i must say iam an xPath fan.. so i love XML 4 its nativity
but (and that belongs my programming languages) i wouldent have an option to implement videoconferencing/inetphone for my needs without client sided application installing and that with any kind of protocoll... or i must use the flash communication server if u are using C++ Delphi Kylix Java .... u could also implement those features.

however..
US-Gpverment is using and trusting Jabber also as many other Big Companys do...
XMPP is easy to use and has a good mailinglist(JDEV)
for flash(macromedia) there are many other socket server i would ever choose Jabber but if videoconferencing is needed i must wheter use the FCS (very expensive) or switch my programming lang.

btw i love to develop but as far i see no reason about:
securitylags
easyier way of usage and handling to the customer and my workflow
or rebuild commercial software as open source
... i see no need for REcreating the wheel.

Franjo Stipanovic schrieb:

Hello,

I wish to implement IM feature in my application.

It would have following features:
- private messages
- chat rooms (also the ability for user to create chat room)

Please, tell me, what do you guys (& girls?) think it's the best do to and I'm I wrong?

- better not to re-invent things and use existing open-source protocol
- use jabber protocol and (jabber) server application as a server
- look at (jabber) client application and implement mentioned features in my application

Doesn't sound like much work, does it?

Thank you!

With respect,
Franjo Stipanovic