Thank you Sascha for your reply.
Let me describe my wish in more details :

- client would be running on Windows platform
- server on Linux (as I would use existing jabber server)

I wouldn't use POST-GET using PHP since I'm building this for larger amount of users.

Also, I'm not coding a client in PHP, I'm doing it in C++ Builder.

I've chosen C++ Builder because of VCL, quicker development using existing components.

There won't be any permissions security, like normal users and moderators, just users.

Users which can communicate with each other using private messages, chatting in public rooms or creating their own rooms with limit (number of users).

Since I've mentioned C++ Builder, are there any jabber libraries which can help me implement it's protocol?

Or should I use simpler IM protocol for this task?

Thank you