Justin Karneges wrote:
This begs the question: what is too big? Currently, we consider stanza size to be somewhat unbounded, as XMPP-Core imposes no size maximum. But I believe we do need some mechanism for a stanza maximum size, otherwise XMPP software is prone to denial-of-service attacks.

However, email has no maximum size, and we probably have a great many XEPs assuming an unbounded size as well. Thus, as soon as we apply a stanza size maximum (which, I'm prepared to argue, is 100% necessary), we may run into trouble with our existing protocols.

I think this is something we need to discuss.

agreed
but the max stanza size depends mostly on the server configuration. We can recommend a number in the RFC and make a note about possible DNS attacks and memory overflows if a server allows a unlimited stanza size and XML depth. I think a client should be able to retrieve the max stanza size using disco and cache it.

Alex