So, the only solution (or correct way to do it ?) is to let
a bot handle the game mechanics ?

I mean, when a user perform a game action, the client should
send the server a <message...> to the game bot JID, which
I have to program in a script language ? In that case, the bot may
process the game state, store it in a database, send messages to
the other players, etc... ?

In fact, I've seen a JEP example here (about chess) :
http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/inbox/chess.html
and I thought that the server was directly handling
<chess:rules> or <chess:piece> tags. If this is possible,
is it the right way to do it, and how do we program
a Jabber server ?
I would suggest writing it as a server component, now before you can write one it is best if you first pick the server that you will be working with as components tend to work differently in different servers, either that or you could make use of the Component Protocol (assuming your chosen server supports it) which is at http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0114.html.

Out of interest, what game are you looking at implementing? as it might be helpful to standardise the protocol for it, like the attempt at the chess one above. I myself am implementing a game component at the moment which will support several different simple games.

Richard