Maciek Niedzielski wrote:
Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
Maciek Niedzielski wrote:
On Sat, Dec 22, 2007 at 12:23:38PM -0800, Justin Karneges wrote:
On Thursday 20 December 2007 2:52 pm, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
So a nice server will return the last unavailable presence information
(with a Delayed Delivery flag), thus obviating the need for a flood of
jabber:iq:last requests.
How about emphasizing the first option as a SHOULD? This would hopefully encourage new servers to always reply, while not causing existing servers to become non-compliant.
On the other hand, usually just 1/3 of my roster is online. So if server
starts sending presence for all contacts, initial "presence flood" from
the server increases 3 times.
So do I take that as an objection to the modified text in rfc3921bis?
Not an objection. But I am a bit worried by this change when I look at my roster. However, at the same time I know that my roster is most probably not a very typical one. Do we have any stats? What's the percent of offline contacts? And what's typical roster size? Maybe it doesn't matter that presence list increases 3 times if this means increasing from 3 to 9 presence stanzas?

I have 1770 people in my roster, so yes I'm concerned. :)

I'll look up some stats on the jabber.org service to see what the average roster size is.

Peter

--
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/