On Mar 26, 2008, at 1:29 PM, David Janes wrote:
On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 8:19 AM, Kevin Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 12:50 PM, Greg Wilson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
There's been a fair bit of discussion in the last couple of
 days on the Python SoC mailing list about how useful it would
 be to have an XMPP server in Python

Why would having one written in Python in particular be useful to you?

 /K

1) because many of us work in Python environments and would like to
continue to do so
2) because Python kicks ass and thus there are many Python programmers
and thus once we get the framework in place is likely to be used and
extended
3) because this is a noticeable deficiency in Python's otherwise
excellent support of Internet protocols

May I suggest that instead of a full server, you implement a XMPP router instead?

The difference for me is that a XMPP router does not have a session manager. It only has:

 * S2S: for federation;
 * XEP-0114 and XEP-0225 support.

This would allow anyone to write a component in any language they want, and the make it available in the XMPP network without having to run a full server.

This is something that I think does not exist, and that many people could use.

Best regards,
--
HIId: Pedro Melo
SMTP: [EMAIL PROTECTED]