2008/4/9, Peter Saint-Andre <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> Jonathan Dickinson wrote:
>  > One of the things that makes my life easier /is/ the gateways. I work
>  > at a pro M$ company so they are Live Messenger through and through:
>  > despite my VERY BEST efforts to convert the entire company. Being
>  > able to use MSN via Jabber has been a huge help for me, but sometimes
>  > I have to log into MSN because of the missing functionality (we
>  > really do use the complete MSN feature set).
>  >
>  > Some people just can't convert completely.
>
>  Understood. But what features do most people really use? Is it just
>  presence and IM (and possibly groupchat),

Reliable and well-integrated presence and IM is what we definitely
need and what we do not yet have in all transports. E.g. some
transports do not support JID Escaping which means end users get ugly
roster items ("[EMAIL PROTECTED]" instead of
"[EMAIL PROTECTED]").

> or do most people also require
>  the ability for file transfers,

Transport can implement XEP-0129: WebDAV File Transfers (
http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0129.html ):
1) XMPP users can send files
2) Files are stored to webdav
3) Closed network contacts get the webdav uri from the transport and
can dowload the file
4) When closed network contacts try to send you a file they can get an
unfriendly technical error message like "Your client does not support
webdav file transfers. Contact <owner of the network> for more
information."

> voice calls, emoticons (etc.) to go
>  across the bridge between Jabber and MSN?

Not really required: let's first make sure the basic things work *good*.

>  And perhaps those who really do need the complete feature set could step
>  up to the plate and help fund work on the transports? Not everything
>  needs to happen through the XSF or the Google Summer of Code.

I started to list all issues I discover with transports:
http://coccinella.im/third-party-issues

--
Mvg, Sander Devrieze.