> I don't disagree from the client perspective. But my philosophy has
> always been to make XMPP as great as it can be, then everyone else will
> eventually decide that they need to use XMPP and not some proprietary
> garbage.

I won't get into my diatribe about why I think that will never happen.
Aside from saying why are people still using IE6 and even IE5?  ;)  I've
always been a big proponent of "let them use what they want, we'll do what
we can do make the world able to communicate better".  That doesn't mean
trying to tell someone "your client blows, use this instead".  Personally I
see no problem with transport work as part of the GSoC.  HOWEVER I do agree
that, to me, the greater spirit of the XMPP involvement would be to learn
more about XMPP and improve upon it directly.  Can that be done by improving
upon existing transports?  Maybe.  "In an ideal world", it could be awefully
nice to see a project in which some sort of XEP gets implemented and
improved upon, or some sort of new XEP concept gets written.

Either way, the PyMSNt project idea could always be suggested over in the
Python GSoC stuff as well.

Daniel