On 17-Apr-08, at 02:15 , Johansson Olle E wrote:

16 apr 2008 kl. 16.41 skrev Norman Rasmussen:
On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 4:13 PM, Jonathan Dickinson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: I know this is OT, but what are your experiences with IPv6? I have been itching to actively use IPv6 resources for a while, but I am just not there yet: any motivations to bump up my efforts (as a developer/end user)?

Re XMPP: Add DNS AAAA records, make sure your jabber server listens/ connects if IPv6 is available, and it "just-works".

Other stuff: Firefox and IE seem to just work too.

Most _new_ libraries are supporting IPv6 transparently, so if you're using one of those you're fine. If you're doing lower level networking then you might need to look at migrating to newer DNS lookups used for connecting. I migrated VIRC a few years back (patches still to be merged *sigh*), and the changes were pretty small.

It's not always that simple, there's a lot of gateway issues we need to take care of too. If I have a jabber server on IPv4 only, and your XMPP SRV records has IPv6 only, I need a configuration for redirecting the jabber messages to an IPv4 to IPv6 gateway. There are application level issues to handle migration here, not only socket and DNS issues.

Is there any real world experience in this context?

Andre