Hello Peter,

> Instant messaging, alerts and notifications, that kind of thing.

I see. I would want my IM messages to be guaranteed delivered :)

> What kind of binary data, and how much?

Requests will be a few KBytes, replies a few KBytes to a few hundred
KBytes typically. For larger replies, I suppose I can chunk them up

> Typically we go out of band for such things,

This sounds like a lot of effort - I need to build my own client
and server and protocol. And I suppose public servers (google talk
for example) won't have this support?