Hello

On Tue, Sep 02, 2008 at 03:23:39PM -0700, JLIST wrote:
> > Typically we go out of band for such things,
>
> This sounds like a lot of effort - I need to build my own client
> and server and protocol. And I suppose public servers (google talk
> for example) won't have this support?

Well, there are the jingle XEPs for going out of band and yes,
implementing it takes some work (guessing from the fact there are not
many implementations yet). But if you have library for it, it does not
need to be that bad and you can stop caring about the chunking.

Besides, it would be probably much faster than going trough 2 servers,
each parsing the XML, deciding where to send it, applying privacy lists
on them end so on.

There is not much support needed on the server-side for this (if at last
one side is directly reachable by the other, it should work without any
server support). And the large servers are the first to support this. At
last ‒ gtalk first came with their calling, which used protocol
google-sessions. Jingle is based on this protocol.

So I suggest you use that, it is most likely what you want. Or you can
use older XEP-65, which is currently used for file transfers by most of
the clients.

Have a nice day

--
ASHes to ASHes, DOS to DOS.