From: jdev-boun...@jabber.org [mailto:jdev-boun...@jabber.org] On Behalf Of
Yves Goergen
Sent: Saturday, July 10, 2010 2:39 PM
To: Jabber software development list
Subject: [jdev] The future of Jabber/XMPP?

Hi there,

Today I noticed that there hasn't been an update to the Openfire Jabber
server in more than 14 months, where 2007 and 2008 have been very active
years. There's still a lot of open issues in the project. In the past
years, a few Jabber projects (like legacy IM gateways or PHP libraries)
have fallen asleep for indefinite time. The Psi developers push
long-desired features further and further into the future while the
Linux package downloads fall behind in versions. (Currently their
website it only half available.)

Sometime in the last decade I saw a more or less great momentum towards
open IM standards, with Google Talk and GMX/web.de introducing XMPP
services or Apple iChat supporting the protocol. Recently, Facebook also
joined the club (without s2s AFAIK), but I have the vague impression
that the whole thing slowly falls asleep. There hasn't been real great
leaps in the near past, or did I just miss them? Now even Google tries
to introduce yet another messaging protocol that isn't as verbose as XML
[citation needed].

Please don't tell me that Free Jabber is dying, because what's left
is... once again only ICQ, MSN and restrictive terms of service.

--
Yves Goergen "LonelyPixel" <nospam.l...@unclassified.de>