On Aug 17, 2011, at 07:57, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:

> More than that, OTR just works [tm]. We've had debates for many years about
> PGP, S/MIME, SIGMA-based encrypted sessions, XTLS, etc. But for as long as
> we've been having these interminable discussions, OTR has quietly been
> working in the real world -- field tested by thousands of users in a wide
> variety of clients, and seemingly resistant to attacks.

It just works™ because there's effectively only one implementation.  Really
easy to interoperate if you're the only game in town!

> Instead of trying to invent something new, why don't we use something that
> has plenty of running code behind it?

1) At least PGP and S/MIME (CMS) have been around longer than (lib)otr, and
there have been implementations that used PGP/GPG.  IMO, we didn't do a good
job incorporating one of them, so they have "failed" us.
2) A single implementation means a single point of failure and compromise.  If
XSF care enough about this, then maybe we should fund at least one
implementation for a few platforms (e.g. C, ECMAScript, Java, Python).  Also,
get the specs somewhere with an established IPR and governance policy.

- m&m
<http://goo.gl/voEzk>