On 8/16/11 7:08 PM, Andreas Monitzer wrote:
On Dienstag, 16. August 2011 at 23:30, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
Don't forget OTR, too (I might be working on an Internet-Draft
about that with some of the OTR folks):

http://www.cypherpunks.ca/otr/

I know about OTR, but I don't like the standard. Due to its
transport-independence, it doesn't integrate at all into XMPP. For
example, there's no discovery for it. The client determines support
at the other side by sending encrypted text and waiting whether a
"wtf" by an irritated/confused human or a proper OTR response comes
back.

Yes, that's an ugly hack, which is needed to work around the lack of
discovery protocols in systems like AIM and Yahoo. However, in XMPP we
have ways to discover feature support (service discovery and entity
capabilities), so it seems to me that we can define an XMPP feature for
OTR (properly versioned because OTRv3 is on the way) and simply ignore
the hacky text stuff.

It also takes over the regular<body/>-tag for its binary data
instead of using a proper separate tag with its own namespace (like
xhtml-im).

On this point, I think we can work with the OTR team to define an XMPP
binding in OTRv3 or (more likely) OTRv4. The XMPP binding would be more
consistent with the Tao of Jabber, and if you're using AIM or Yahoo or
whatever then you'd default to stuffing all the data in the message
body. The XMPP binding would also enable us to perform whole-stanza
encryption for all stanza types (think Jingle negotiation and such),
instead of just the <body/> element of the <message/> stanza.

Further, the library's LGPL license is incompatible with Apple's App
Store, and so I'd have to implement it on my own…

Multiple implementations might be a good thing. :) The XSF might even be
able to provide funding for folks to work on a common library (BSD or
MIT licensed) that can be used by a wide variety of clients.

An OTP plugin has been written for Gajim, and AFAIK, he re-wrote the library in python instead of using the python bindings. But I don't think he did as a separate module ....

code is here:
http://hg.gajim.org/gajim-plugins/file/1dd756daba40/gotr

--
Yann