So my suggestion is "Chat Markers", where you mark a given message with a
Chat Maker.

So you could retrieve your chat makers between you and a given jid:

<iq type='get' id='chat-marker-1'>
<query xmlns='urn:xmpp:chat-marker:tmp'>
<with>jul...@example.com</with>
</query>
</iq>

You would then receive the 'read' and 'received' chat marker between the
you and the other jid.

<iq to='ro...@example.com/phone' type='result' id='chat-marker-1'>
<query xmlns='urn:xmpp:chat-marker:tmp'>
<read to='jul...@example.net' id='message-3'
xmlns="urn:xmpp:chat-marker:tmp"/>
<received to='jul...@example.net' id='message-3'
xmlns="urn:xmpp:chat-marker:tmp"/>
 <read from='jul...@example.net' id='message-1'
xmlns="urn:xmpp:chat-marker:tmp"/>
<received from='jul...@example.net' id='message-2'
xmlns="urn:xmpp:chat-marker:tmp"/>
</query>
</iq>

You can update you Chat Markers like so:

 <iq type='set' id='chat-marker-2'>
  <chat-markers xmlns='urn:xmpp:chat-marker:tmp'>
 <with>jul...@example.net</with>
<read>message-4</read>
<received>message-4</read>
  </chat-markers>
 </iq>

These would be pushed to your other devices

<iq to='ro...@example.com/tablet' type='set' id='chat-marker-3'>
<query xmlns='urn:xmpp:chat-marker:tmp'>
<read to='jul...@example.net' id='message-4'
xmlns="urn:xmpp:chat-marker:tmp"/>
<received to='jul...@example.net' id='message-4'
xmlns="urn:xmpp:chat-marker:tmp"/>
</query>
</iq>

and to other user's devices

<iq to='jul...@example.com/phone' type='set' id='chat-marker-3'>
<query xmlns='urn:xmpp:chat-marker:tmp'>
<read from='ro...@example.net' id='message-4'
xmlns="urn:xmpp:chat-marker:tmp"/>
<received from='ro...@example.net' id='message-4'
xmlns="urn:xmpp:chat-marker:tmp"/>