Oi, sorry for the messed up reply.

> Thanks for the Feedback.
>
> I think the issue with embedding it in a message is the neither XEP-0136 or
> XEP-0313 store message that have no body, which a includes a last read
> message.
>
> Keeping it as a separate XEP means it can be used with any Message Archiving
> solution.

Fair enough. Though MAM does allow arbitrary message storage, and enabling that
would be just as easy as adding support for another XEP.

> Also the auto sending of read is something I want to avoid, if they haven't
> read it then don't move the marker.

You still have to deal with a client being focused and active with no user
input. Basically I have my phone chat app up and I'm staring at it reading but
not replying. Does the client update the last read ids automatically in that
case?