Thanks for the Feedback.

I think the issue with embedding it in a message is the neither XEP-0136 or
XEP-0313 store message that have no body, which a includes a last read message.

Keeping it as a separate XEP means it can be used with any Message Archiving
solution.

Also the auto sending of read is something I want to avoid, if they haven't
read it then don't move the marker. There is a separate delivered marker for
this. I appreciate that delivery  receipts already exist but they have to be
sent for every message that requests them and as you alluded to, how your
supposed to handle them with archived messages is a bit ambiguous.

One solution I thought of for duplicate message ids, is for the server to embed
a timestamp based on the archive into the chat marker.

Naturally if I turned this into any XEP then all of this would only be sent to
clients that advertise support.

Regards

Spencer