While this is clearly a bug that needs fixing it would be useful to have
the functionality to resolve downstream/upstream jobs with a fixed version
(configurable of-course).

We no longer use SNAPSHOTS but use release versions with
BUILD_ID-BUILD_NUMBER and dynamically update dependencies using the
maven-versions-plugin at build time. At the moment we are having to
manually configure downstream/upstream relationships so having Jenkins
auto-resolve them for fixed versions would be very useful to us.