Hi Jenkins developers :-)

I am following up to a couple of discussion threads (one at
http://jenkins-ci.361315.n4.nabble.com/Jenkins-GitHub-and-Gerrit-Your-thoughts-td4630207.html
 and another face-to-face with Kohsuke @Google Mountain View in 2011
http://google-opensource.blogspot.co.uk/2011/12/gittogether-2011.html) about
using GitHub or Gerrit for Jenkins development.

We are all happily using GitHub pull requests *BUT* there are several concerns
on the web, some of them coming directly from Linus Torvalds on the lack of
policy and order around GitHub pull requests:
http://www.wired.com/wiredenterprise/2012/05/torvalds_github/

Additionally GitHub has been quite unreliable recently, forcing (at least us)
to stop or slow down our activity quite often !
(just look on how many hints you have by Googling "github outage":
https://www.google.com/?q=github+outage)

Let me recap on the concerns of using Gerrit when we discussed with Kohsuke F2F
back in 2011 @GitTogether in Mountain View:

1) Lack of GitHub synchronisation
- Gerrit and GitHub are not very well synchronised in terms of replication: you
may end up with a situation where a push is made on both Gerrit and GitHub and
then you're stuck with a stale replication conflict

2) Not "as easy" as GitHub pull requests
- Gerrit is GWT-based and its UX is not as nice and effective as GitHub
- More difficult to on-board new members because of the learning curve involved
with Gerrit

3) Lack of visibility compared to GitHub
- Gerrit has no public "Hub site" where people can go and look for public
repositories

4) Lack of RESTFul API
- Gerrit has no well-defined and stable RESTFul API as GitHub: more difficult
to integrate with other systems

Now, situation in October 2013 is VERY different, thanks to:
- Gerrit 2.8
(https://gerrit.googlesource.com/gerrit/+/refs/heads/master/ReleaseNotes/ReleaseNotes-2.8.txt)
- GitHub plugin for Gerrit
(https://gerrit.googlesource.com/plugins/github/+/refs/heads/master/README.md)
- The first book on Gerrit Code Review
(http://aniszczyk.org/2013/09/23/gerrit-code-review-book/)
- The first official Gerrit "Hub" for public projects (http://gerrithub.io)

With all of those new aspects in mind: do we want to assess / review the
situation ?

Those new elements are "filling the gaps" of the Gerrit minuses identified 2
years ago:
1) GitHub plugin allows synchronisation of projects and pull requests between
GitHub and Gerrit (see a demo of Jenkins pull requests in Gerrit on
https://review.gerrithub.io)
2) Gerrit UX is getting much easier: the book shows how to get started with
Gerrit with minimal or no knowledge on Git
3) GerritHub.io is getting traction and allows to use Gerrit and GitHub pull
requests side-by-side
4) Gerrit 2.8 has a rich and powerful set of RESTFul API
(https://review.gerrithub.io/Documentation/rest-api.html)

Other "big names" in OpenSource are already using Gerrit *AND* GitHub in
conjunction with lots of success and pride:
- OpenStack (https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Gerrit_Workflow)
- Wikimedia (http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Gerrit)
- Typo3 (http://wiki.typo3.org/Gerrit)

Opinions, comments, plus and minuses are more than welcome :-)

Luca.