I think the "Untriaged" state part needs more explanation and attention, because the intention behind this change is to encourage core&plugin developers to change the workflow.

The idea is that issues in this state is not confirmed/accepted by developers. I think the expectation is that developers would go through untriaged issues quickly and check if they seem to contain enough information (if not, close it and let the submitter reopen with more info), if it's filed against the right component (if not, reclassify), etc. And if it appears to be a serious issue, we want to flag it and make sure it gets worked on in a timely manner.

To me, a part of the motivation for this new state is that it lets us ensure that issues are "touched" and notice serious issues sooner than later. This is a metric we can track to identify plugins that need love, and measure how far behind we've fallen in the core.