On Mon, Nov 16, 2015 at 10:02 PM, kmbulebu <kmbul...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I believe the real horse race is between the
> underlying docker libraries. In the end, we'll likely have a clear winner,
> and can standardize a group of plugins around that. Perhaps docker-commons
> becomes that focal point, and we have smaller plugins that deliver slaves,
> build steps, workflow DSL, etc.

Seems reasonable to me to have smaller plugins with focused features,
and a little competition. I would not object to hosting as is,
provided that plugin wikis clearly link to alternatives.

IIUC the main differences between your plugin and the `Cloud` portion
of the `docker` plugin are

· Different client libraries. No clear winner yet.
· Slave launcher: yours uses JNLP; `docker` plugin currently ships
SSH, has JNLP support in code but disabled.

If you can later reach consensus with the `docker` plugin devs on the
approach to take for a general-purpose Docker cloud provider, it
should be possible to unify code into a new plugin release. Automatic
migration of user settings will be a bit trickier but is possible.

By the way your comparison chart neglected to mention

https://github.com/ndeloof/docker-slaves-plugin

which is a novel approach that I think is very promising.